Here are five helpful tips for homeowners to check before calling an HVAC professional.
1. When was the last time you changed your filter?
Rule of thumb is every 3 months. If you have pets or lots of traffic through your home you should probably change them more often.
2. Have you checked your thermostat?
Surprisingly these are common mistakes
- Make sure the thermostat is in the On position
- Make sure the thermostat is on the correct condition (heat/AC)
- Make sure you have power to your thermostat, there may be a tripped breaker
3. When was the last time your system was service?
If things intermittently work then your system needs service. This could include checking pressures, cleaning coils and checking air flow.
4. Do you have a Leak?
System Leaks do happen and there is no way to always fully prevent them. The leak could be as simple as a bad valve core or it could be in the condenser or coil itself. Leak repairs can be expensive and difficult to fix especially with the rising costs of R-22 due to the Phase out.
5. Is it an electrical problem
electrical problems are very common and cover a lot of components so I’ll keep simple… Anything running off electricity in the the system could fail including motors, capacitors (very common), compressors, contactors and breakers. You will need to call your local service company to diagnose and repair the issue.